New Trade Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New Trade Organization

We are a Trade Group in the economic simulation Simunomics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bonds- Currently a good investment

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hero Brewing, LLC

Bonds- Currently a good investment Empty
PostSubject: Bonds- Currently a good investment   Bonds- Currently a good investment EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:54 pm

As of late bonds have been paying really well & if you have extra money I'd recommend investing in them.

You can buy a bond for $421k & in just 3 weeks you will get a payout of $1M. That's more than double your investment in just 3 weeks time.
Back to top Go down
BB Grim

BB Grim

PostSubject: Re: Bonds- Currently a good investment   Bonds- Currently a good investment EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:06 am

I bought bonds yesterday at 4.15 base rate, and today it is telling me I am making 2.93. Does the rate on bonds you have already purchase shift from day to day?
Back to top Go down
Tanganyika

PostSubject: Re: Bonds- Currently a good investment   Bonds- Currently a good investment EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 9:51 pm

I don't understand bonds, and the game guide didnt clarify for me.

I comprehend the basics, but I don't see how its manipulated to make money.
Back to top Go down
BB Grim

BB Grim

PostSubject: Re: Bonds- Currently a good investment   Bonds- Currently a good investment EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Bonds are sold at a particular interest rate. The price of the bond is calculated, against a base of $1,000,000 each, so that the interest is in the purchase price.
When I last bought bonds, the yield was 4% and change, about 3.89% after the bank's fees. So the price of the bond was calculated to give me back $1,000,000 per bond at 3.89%, after the period of 30 days (30 years in game time) had passed. I paid something like $680,000 per bond.(Don't hold me to that, as I really don't remember what I actually paid.) At the end of that 30 days, I will receive $1,000,000 per bond. I bought 200 bonds, so that will be $200,000,000.

There is a rate calculator on the Purchase part of the Bonds screen. It will tell you what you have to pay at the current rate to receive the Par Value ($1,000,000) at the end of the term. If you wish to cash in earlier, ti also keeps a running tab of where you are and what you will receive if you do cash in now. The rate will be adjusted, but you should never lose money.

You will pay taxes on bond profits.

Bottom line is, bonds are a useful way to keep earning on your excess cash. It ties it up, in a loose sort of way, for the duration of the bond. I would try to buy when rates are over 2%, which I consider piss poor, but seems to be reasonable in this milieu. This thread was started because bonds yielded over 4% at the time, and I bought a bunch of them. You can buy them whenever you wish, and each 'basket' that you buy is treated like its own investment. I once had four rolling baskets going of $10,000,000 each. I suspect I should have a lot more going now, as I have a lot of cash, but I am stubborn about yields, so I don't.

I would be careful if you don't really have "excess" cash. You will need that cash at some point, and you should hold enough to handle occasional market purchases, material purchases, etc... But if you truly have a bunch of cash sitting around, bonds are a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Hero Brewing, LLC

PostSubject: Re: Bonds- Currently a good investment   Bonds- Currently a good investment EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Sorry, I've been busy the last couple of weeks.

The APY (Annual Percentage Yeild, or the percent of interest that you earn) on the bonds is locked. So if you purchase a bond at 4% & the market drops to 2% you will get the 4% because you're locked in. Same thing would happen if you bought a bond at 2% & the interest goes to 4%. You'll only earn 2% for that bond.

I have 8000 bonds that mature tonight. Over the last couple of months I've turned $2B (billion) into over 10B using mostly bonds.

Again- if you need your cash to buy product, upgrade buildings, ect then bonds are not the right choice; but if you have cash that you're not using (aka- not making you more money) they're a great investment.

For example- When I bought my bonds I had invested around $600k/bond after fees. After the bonds mature I'll make 400K/bond. So I was tieing up 600K for every 400K I'm going to make. That's about a 67% return.

The rate right now is only .051% so I'd be investing 990K per bond & only making 10K after the bond matures. So I'd be tieing up almost 1M just to make 10K. That's only a 1% return.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonds- Currently a good investment   Bonds- Currently a good investment Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonds- Currently a good investment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New Trade Organization :: General Discussion :: About The Game-
Jump to: